Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

How Do I Find a Parent for Child Support?

If you're a single parent with full custody of your children, then you're likely entitled to child support payments from the noncustodial parent. These payments, which are usually made on a monthly basis, are based on the child's needs and the parent's income. But you may have to locate a parent first in order to enforce a child support order, especially if they've attempted to avoid the financial responsibility of raising children (often referred to as a "deadbeat parent").

This article provides general information about how to find a parent for child support, whether the other parent is ducking their responsibility or denies paternity.

How to Find Parents for Child Support: General Guidelines

Regardless of your state's laws, the best way to find an elusive noncustodial parent is to gather as much personally identifying information as possible. If the parent is a former spouse, some of this information may be easier to find. The following types of information may help state authorities or caseworkers find an otherwise unresponsive parent:

  • Social Security Number
  • Names of the noncustodial parent's friends, employers, coworkers, or family members who may have relevant information
  • Copy of the order for child support
  • Child's birth certificate
  • Addresses of past and/or present workplaces or residences

Additionally, the Federal Parent Locator Service (FPLS) maintained by the Office of Child Support Enforcement (a division of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services) assists state child support programs by collecting data from various sources. State agencies use data compiled through the FPLS to establish paternity and find deadbeat parents.

Finding a Deadbeat Parent: State Procedures and Tactics

Child support enforcement is handled at the state level, and often uses tools such as wage garnishments and the withholding of state benefits to enforce orders. But different states have different ways to help custodial parents find noncustodial parents who are evading payment.

One popular method is to put the names and pictures of deadbeat parents, along with the amount owed, on billboards or websites (the Delinquent Parents site maintained by the Illinois Dept. of Healthcare and Family Services, for example). But while states have several different enforcement procedures, they are all meant as incentives and are not necessarily effective at finding deadbeats who are on the run or in hiding.

The State and Tribal Child Support Agency Contacts directory maintained by the federal government provides more information on how to find a parent for child support.

How to Find a Parent for Child Support in Another State

States have jurisdiction and the resources to track down deadbeat parents who live in the same state as the custodial parents. However, it's much more difficult to enforce a child support order when the noncustodial parent crosses state lines, even if court orders are issued. While the federal Full Faith and Credit for Child Support Orders Act requires states to enforce valid child support orders from other states, actual enforcement is another matter.

Often, the deadbeat parent is able to elude authorities until they're stopped by police (a routine traffic stop, for instance) and checked for outstanding warrants. Some delinquent noncustodial parents work for cash in order to avoid wage garnishment, regardless of which state they are in.

In practice, custodial parents who are unable to find an out-of-state deadbeat parent usually must either do the investigative work themselves or hire a private investigator (PI). Some PIs are licensed to operate in more than one state. Also, you may be able to recover the cost of hiring a PI from the noncustodial parent.

Trying to Find a Parent? A Child Support Attorney Can Help

Child support payments are absolutely critical to custodial parents struggling to make ends meet while covering the costs associated with parenthood. So when a noncustodial parent fails to do their share, it can cause major hardship in the family. An experienced child support attorney will be able to work the system to get your child the financial support they deserve.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified child support attorney to make sure your rights are protected.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options