5 'As Seen On TV' Product Recalls You May Not Have Seen
If you're a late night TV junkie, you are probably very familiar with the "As Seen On TV" line of products. But you may not be in the know about their recalls.
Here are five infomercial-born appliances and gadgets that have been recalled back to TV-land for some alarming reasons.
- The Ab Lounge. This product, which looks almost like a lawn chair, was recalled in 2004 after consumers got their fingers crushed or cut off by the hinges of the Ab Lounge. The distributor, Fitness Quest Inc., no longer sells these products, and it is illegal for consumers or businesses to attempt to resell them, reports the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- The Therma Scarf. This microwavable scarf (complete with pockets!) by Telebrands was recalled after consumers reported fires from heating them up. Heat packs inside the scarf were made of flax seeds, which upon sufficient reheating, can cause fire and burn hazards which is probably not what you'd be looking for in a scarf.
- Kinoki Foot Pads. The marketers of these "revitalizing" foot pads were charged by the FTC for deceptive advertising after claiming that the pads removed toxins and "metabolic waste." In 2010, this "As Seen On TV" product and similar products were barred from sale by a federal judge.
- The Snackmaster Dehydrator. Who doesn't love dried fruits and herbs? But consumers who were tired of the hassle and price of buying those pricey dried apricots and prunes didn't save any money by using the Snackmaster Dehydrator. This item was recalled by the CPSC after reports that the heating element in the dehydrator may cause fires.
- The H2O Mop Steam Cleaner. Scrubbing and cleaning your floors can have you at frayed ends, but users of the H20 Mop Steam Cleaner were literally shocked after the mop's cord wore down, leaving dangerous exposed wires. The CPSC issued a recall for potential shock and burn injuries, but die-hard "As Seen On TV" consumers can contact Thane International Inc. for a repair kit.
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.