10 Cities with the Worst Car Theft Rates
The top ten cities for car thefts in the U.S. was released by the National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB), and the list could be renamed the top ten cities for car thefts in California.
The survey of most car thefts in 2011 included seven California cities within its top ten.
However, it wasn't all bad news as car thefts fell nationwide for the second straight year, reports MSN. Relying on FBI figures, there was a 3.3% drop in car thefts from the 2010 total of 737,142.
Here is the top cities for car thefts list including the total number of stolen vehicles and thefts per 100,000 people:
- Fresno, Calif.: 7,621 total thefts, or 808 per 100,000 people
- Modesto, Calif.: 3,315 or 639 per 100,000
- Bakersfield-Delano, Calif.: 5,240 or 615 per 100,000
- Spokane, Wash.: 2,614 or 552 per 100,000
- Yakima, Wash.: 1,308 or 529 per 100,000
- San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont, Calif.: 23,223 or 529 per 100,000
- Stockton, Calif.: 3,532 or 507 per 100,000
- Anderson, S.C.: 911 or 483 per 100,000
- Vallejo-Fairfield, Calif.: 2,002/481 per 100,000
- Visalia-Porterville, Calif.: 2,124 or 473 per 100,000
Besides not living in California, the NICB also offered some tips on how to prevent your car from getting stolen. These include getting an audible alarm with motion or impact sensors, steering column collars that prevent hot-wiring of the vehicle, and steering wheel locks that are designed to be placed over the steering wheel.
These devices are relatively inexpensive and typically cost less than $100. If you live in one of the top cities for car thefts, this may be an investment worth making. Otherwise, check these tips for what to do when your car is stolen.
- California cities take top spots for vehicle thefts in the U.S. (Los Angeles Times)
- Top 10 Cities for Stolen Cell Phones (FindLaw's Blotter)
- Get a Ticket for Your License Plate Frames and Covers? (FindLaw's Law & Daily Life)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.