Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Boy, 10, Pulls Gun on Woman to Protect Halloween Candy

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

In an incredibly bizarre incident, a 10-year-old boy from Aiken, S.C. is accused of using a gun to protect his candy on Halloween night.

The 28-year-old victim had recognized some neighborhood boys amongst a group of 10 trick-or-treaters. She approached and jokingly told the group that she planned to steal their candy.

The 10-year-old pulled out a 9mm handgun and responded with, "No you're not."

Police located the boy, who was also found to have a loaded clip in his backpack, reports the Augusta Journal. His brother also had a handgun, which he tossed after the incident. Police found that gun on Tuesday.

It turns out that the boys had taken the guns from their grandfather's home without permission.

Despite these events, the boys were taken into custody and then released to their parents. This has some local residents upset.

South Carolina police had no choice but to release the children. The state's juvenile code specifically states that children 10 years of age and younger cannot be incarcerated in a jail or detention facility. They also can only be held in custody for a few short hours.

These rules don't necessarily mean the one kid will go free. After all, he stole and then used a gun to protect candy. The family court could sentence him to probation, counseling and/or community service. It could also remove the child from his home and place him in a different kind of facility.

The boy's actions were serious and seriously dangerous. The court will probably try to get him the help that he needs.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard