Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Vindictive Lawyer Text of the Year: 'Have Fun in Prison'

By William Vogeler, Esq. | Last updated on

Some do-good lawyers write to their clients who are in prison.

It may be to cheer them up about their chances on appeal, or to give them some hope beyond the bars. One attorney, for example, gives inmates books to read.

But then there are those not-so-kind attorneys -- the ones who really don't like their clients. Like this guy...

Wrong Client

New Jersey lawyer Logan Terry had no love for his client, who was facing more than 200 years in prison for allegedly sexually assaulting four minors under age 13. Seriously, who would love that client?

Plus, the man wasn't paying his legal bills. That's an unforgivable sin to lawyers. Terry asked the court for permission to withdraw, but the judge denied the request.

So Terry sent his client a strong pre-trial message. He texted the client he would not spend the weekend preparing for trial unless the client paid first, and in all capital letters wrote:


Wrong Message

Of course, Terry got in trouble for his trouble. The client whined complained to the judge, who relieved the lawyer, who got disciplined.

Terry told the ethics panel he had twice asked to withdraw from the case because the client was uncooperative and failed to pay his fees. The panel was sympathetic, but unforgiving.

They acknowledged that Terry was "in a difficult position," but his reaction "to subvert the court's directive by 'poisoning' the representation" was wrong.

The New Jersey Supreme Court censured Terry, but he was probably right -- about the client going to prison.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard