Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Woman Sues Law School Over Failed NY Bar Exam

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

If a law school got sued every time a student failed a final exam or was subject to the anguish of not passing the bar, there'd be a lot fewer law schools in this country.

Wait. That might be a good thing.

A woman is suing Oxford Brookes University (not to be confused with the Oxford) for failing to teach her how to answer basic legal questions. In other words, they didn't teach her how to take legal exams and now her career is ruined, according to her complaint.

Maria Abramova enrolled in the university's Institute of Legal Practice, a postgraduate training program required for those wishing to become solicitors in the UK, the Daily Mail reports. Having actually graduated from the Oxford with a course in law, the paper further details, the ILP didn't feel the need to teach her examination techniques until she failed her first set of exams.

Expecting things from graduates of well-known law schools is now apparently akin to negligence (as some believe it should be).

Abramova, who was not able to pass all of her exams, is also suing the Institute for her failure to pass the New York bar exam, citing the psychological trauma she experienced from failing her solicitor's course as a result of the school's negligence. In addition to exam-taking techniques, both Oxfords apparently don't teach graduates how to use the Internet. If they did, she would have heard of BarBri.

But hey, while she may not be a practicing lawyer in the UK or US, at least she's got a job. As a paralegal.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard