Legalese From A to Z: 5 Legal Terms Beginning With 'Q'
- Quantum meruit. In disputes over compensation for services or goods provided without a contractual agreement, quantum meruit is a legal doctrine that acts as an implied contract, allowing recovery by a plaintiff for the reasonable value of those goods or services.
- Quasi judicial. Areas of administrative law -- such as workers' compensation or environmental law -- are often considered quasi-judicial, as their procedures are typically legally binding and subject to judicial review, but are not judicial in nature.
- Quitclaim deed. When a person transfers ownership of property to another person by quitclaim deed, the person accepting the title only acquires whatever interest the person granting the title may have had, with no guarantee as to the nature or quality of the title.
- Quid pro quo sexual harassment. In an employment situation, quid pro quo sexual harassment occurs when a manager, owner, or other authority figure offers or hints to an employee that satisfaction of sexual demands will lead to a raise or promotion. The harassment may also occur when an authority figure demands sexual satisfaction for not firing or reporting an employee or hiring a job candidate.
- Qui tam action. When an employee suspects her employer is defrauding the government, she may file a qui tam action; if successful, the whistleblower can receive a share of the recovery as a reward.
- Legalese From A to Z: 5 Legal Terms Beginning With 'M' (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- Legalese From A to Z: 5 Legal Terms Beginning With 'N' (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- Legalese From A to Z: 5 Legal Terms Beginning With 'O' (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- Legalese From A to Z: 5 Legal Terms Beginning With 'P' (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
Was this helpful?
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.
Or contact an attorney near you: