Legalese From A to Z: 5 Legal Terms Beginning With 'Q'
Query: What is legalese? If you answered "the language used by lawyers, judges, bloggers, and others who work in the in the legal profession," you've likely been following along with our weekly series Legalese From A to Z.
Each week, we're taking a quick look at quality bits of legalese such as query (definition: a formally phrased question). In this week's Legalese from A to Z, we take on five legal terms that begin with the letter "Q":
- Quantum meruit. In disputes over compensation for services or goods provided without a contractual agreement, quantum meruit is a legal doctrine that acts as an implied contract, allowing recovery by a plaintiff for the reasonable value of those goods or services.
- Quasi judicial. Areas of administrative law -- such as workers' compensation or environmental law -- are often considered quasi-judicial, as their procedures are typically legally binding and subject to judicial review, but are not judicial in nature.
- Quitclaim deed. When a person transfers ownership of property to another person by quitclaim deed, the person accepting the title only acquires whatever interest the person granting the title may have had, with no guarantee as to the nature or quality of the title.
- Quid pro quo sexual harassment. In an employment situation, quid pro quo sexual harassment occurs when a manager, owner, or other authority figure offers or hints to an employee that satisfaction of sexual demands will lead to a raise or promotion. The harassment may also occur when an authority figure demands sexual satisfaction for not firing or reporting an employee or hiring a job candidate.
- Qui tam action. When an employee suspects her employer is defrauding the government, she may file a qui tam action; if successful, the whistleblower can receive a share of the recovery as a reward.
If you need help with defining a legal word or phrase, check out FindLaw's Legal Dictionary for free access to more than 8,000 definitions of legal terms. In next week's Legalese From A to Z, we'll check out five more legal terms you may not know, beginning with the letter "R."
- Legalese From A to Z: 5 Legal Terms Beginning With 'M' (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- Legalese From A to Z: 5 Legal Terms Beginning With 'N' (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- Legalese From A to Z: 5 Legal Terms Beginning With 'O' (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- Legalese From A to Z: 5 Legal Terms Beginning With 'P' (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.