Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

The DC Same Sex Marriage Bill Is Approved

By Minara El-Rahman on December 16, 2009 9:15 AM

The critical DC same sex marriage bill was approved by members of the the DC City Council on Tuesday. The New York Times reports that the bill which would allow gay marriage south of the Mason-Dixon line, passed with an 11-2 vote.  

It is important to realize that this bill still faces some major hurdles. As we wrote about in Law and Daily Life, Congress does have the power to block such legislation.

A Republican from Utah who oversees the district plans on using a variety of methods to block the measure. Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah told ABC News: "Some people legitimately and often ask: 'Why is it that a congressman from Utah, or anyplace else, is sticking their nose in this? Article I, Section 8 of our Constitution says that in all cases, the Congress shall oversee the laws of Washington, D.C., and that is what we're trying to do."

There is also a lawsuit in Superior Court pending from the Stand4MarriageDC Group which is suing for the right to put the DC same sex marriage bill to a vote. The New York Times quotes Bishop Harry Jackson, chairman of the group Stand4MarriageDC, as saying: "The City Council's action today is not the final word."

However, DC same sex marriage advocates are taking the time out to celebrate this victory. DC Mayor Adrian Fenty has said he will sign the approved same sex marriage bill. Councilman David A. Catania, the first openly gay councilman and author of the bill, told the New York Times: "Today's vote is an important victory not only for the gay and lesbian community but for everyone who supports equal rights."

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard