Block on Trump's Asylum Ban Upheld by Supreme Court
By all accounts, unemployment spiked in September to 9.8%-- the highest in over 25 years. Even as the economy is thought to be on the verge of healing, the September reports are a stark reminder that the nation's economic stability is not in the green yet.
The new waves of layoffs have many wondering what to do, where to go for unemployment benefits, and how to cope with the prospect of job loss. Below are our top 6 posts on unemployment.
1. Layoff Preparation and Survival Tips: Follow these tips to secure unemployment benefits, start a new job search, be aware of severance packages, and avoid losing health care coverage.
2. Unemployment Benefits Extended by the House: For those receiving unemployment benefits who have not been able to find a new job, read up on the recent bill passed by Congress to extend benefits for 13 weeks.
3. Unemployment Benefits to End for 650,000: What to Do?: If you have faced or are facing the prospect of losing unemployment benefits read about your options and how to maintain stability in turbulent times.
4. Unemployment Rates Rising Across the Board: Tax Considerations for Recently Unemployed: If your family's finances are changing, maybe your tax strategies should adjust too. Take a look at a few tax tips for the recently unemployed.
5. Layoffs Hit Family Courts: What Happens if I Can't Afford Child Support Payments?: A difficult consideration of losing a job is rethinking payment of child support. This post reviews the option of modifying a child support arrangement in light of layoff.
6. Job Search Fraud Rising in Recession: Five Job Search Scams to Avoid: Even in, or perhaps especially in, your time of need you should be aware of scams targeted to job-seekers . Learn about how to avoid various online and live job scams and ways to protect yourself from identity theft.
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.