Top 7 Legal Tips for Timing Your Divorce
In divorce, as in life, timing is everything. And while there might be a million factors affecting a decision to get divorced -- not the least of which might be personal safety -- there are also a few legal considerations to take into account when you're pondering the right time to file for divorce.
Here are a few tips on timing your divorce, from our archives:
1. When Is the Best Time to File for Divorce?
Not all of us have the luxury of picking and choosing when to get divorced. An ex might have determined that for us, or we might need to get out right now. But if you could pick an ideal time, when would that be?
2. Who Should File for Divorce First?
Sadly, some marriages become a standoff between spouses daring each other to pull the divorce trigger. But are there legal advantages to filing papers before your soon-to-be ex?
3. How to Prepare for Divorce While You Wait out the Holidays
There's a reason January is divorce season -- most people don't want to ruin family time over the holidays by breaking part of the family up. So if you're holding off until after the holidays to file for divorce, what should you be doing in the meantime?
4. Getting a Divorce? Top 3 Tax Tips to Consider
Another season that might affect your timing for divorce? Tax season. A split can have significant impacts on your finances, especially your tax filings. Here's what you need to know.
5. How Will My Divorce Affect My Health Insurance?
Losing health coverage can be a big deterrent to filing for divorce. And whether you'll be insured after the separation can affect when you'll file papers before.
6. Divorce and Pregnancy: Are There Special Legal Considerations?
Is it better to divorce before or after the baby is born? Will the timing change child custody considerations? What about child support?
7. Tips for Divorcing Late in Life
Sometimes romances that have lasted decades can't make it another day. While in some ways a divorce in your golden years might be the same as one in your glory days, there may be a few more legal documents to consider.
The best source of advice when it comes to timing your divorce is an experienced divorce attorney.
- Find Divorce Lawyers Near You (FindLaw's Lawyer Directory)
- Is It Divorce Season Yet? (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- 7 Best Legal Tips for Getting a Divorce (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
- Top 7 Questions to Determine How Divorce Will Affect Your Finances (FindLaw's Law and Daily Life)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.