Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Workers' Comp for Hotel Sex? Woman Injured on Business Trip

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on August 01, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Should an employee receive workers' compensation for a sex injury incurred while on a business trip?

A court in Sydney, Australia this week has been tasked with answering just this question, with a woman claiming that she should be compensated for her sex injuries because they occurred "during the course of her employment."

She isn't a prostitute.

As an employee of the government, the Sydney Morning Herald reports that the unnamed woman was required to travel and stay overnight in a motel in order to attend a morning conference.

It must have been a cheap motel because, as she fulfilled her more carnal desires, a wall-mounted light fell on her head, injuring her nose and mouth.

And her pride.

ComCare, the state's insurance company, is arguing that the woman cannot receive workers' compensation for sex, as there is no connection between her activities and her job description.

The woman's attorney claims that hotel sex is "normal behavior" for those on business trips, according to the Herald.

Even if business trip sex is normal, if this woman were working in the United States, it's unlikely that she'd be able to obtain benefits.

Workers' compensation benefits only cover those injuries that occur while a person is carrying out their job duties, even if on a business trip.

It's hard to imagine that an insurance company or court would ever award a person workers' compensation for sex, as Nevada is the only state where sex can legally be part of someone's job description.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard