Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Can I Sue to Cancel My Gym Membership?

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

A common complaint amongst gym goers everywhere is that it's really difficult to cancel a gym membership once you've signed up.

Unfortunately, if you sign a gym contract with a term longer than a month, you're generally bound for its duration, requiring you to pay fees, accept auto-renewals, and cancellation charges.

However, you still may be able to cancel a gym membership via lawsuit if there is evidence of one of the following defenses.

1. Misrepresentation

Courts will cancel contracts if a party can show that the other made material misrepresentations of fact that caused them to enter into a contract. If the employee who sold you your membership lied about the gym's services or made promises he couldn't keep, you may fit this criteria.

2. Illegality and Unconscionability

Courts may also cancel a gym membership if you can show that the contract's terms are illegal, unconscionable, or against public policy.

This, however, is unlikely, as your gym contract was likely drafted with state and local laws in mind.

3. Impossibility

Contracts can also be voided if performance becomes physically impossible by one of the parties. While a loss of a job may not be an excuse, an illness may be sufficient to cause a court to grant the cancellation of a gym contract.

Even if you have a good argument that would cause a court to cancel a gym membership, it still might not be a great idea to sue. Court costs and legal fees may be more than paying a cancellation fee or monthly dues.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard