Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Cop Sues Estate of Sean Bell for Leg Injuries

By Tanya Roth, Esq. on June 29, 2010 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

An officer involved in the fatal 2006 shooting of Sean Bell is suing his estate. Officer Michael Carey's suit claims he was hit in the leg by Bell's car right before Carey and other police officers fired into it multiple times, killing Bell on the morning of his wedding. Bell's fiancee has brought a wrongful death suit against Carey and the other police officers involved.

According to AoL News, an unarmed Bell and a group of friends were leaving his bachelor party on Nov. 25, 2006, when undercover officers fired more than 50 bullets at the men, wounding Bell's two friends and killing Bell. The suit brought by Michael Carey alleges that he "suffered a serious leg injury when [Bell] crashed into the vehicle he was riding in before Officer Carey ever drew his gun and fired a shot." The suit further claims Bell was not wearing glasses or contacts, something he needed to drive properly.

The Carey suit was reported to have been filed in response to the wrongful death suit filed by Bell's fiancée, Nicole Paultre Bell. AoL News writes she wants Carey and the others involved in the shooting off the force. "Myself and my family are going to do everything possible to see that these police officers are fired," she told the New York Daily News.

Carey and the other officers, Michael Oliver, Marc Cooper and Gescard Isnora, were acquitted in 2008 of criminal charges stemming from the shooting. A federal civil rights claim is now being dropped as well. AoL reports federal prosecutors say they have "insufficient evidence to pursue federal criminal civil rights charges."

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard