Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Illinois Boy, 3, Dies on Indoor Roller Coaster

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

Over the weekend, the 3-year-old Dansby twins were riding the Python Pit roller coaster located at Go Bananas--a small indoor children's amusement park just outside of Chicago.

While on the coaster with his twin brother, Jayson somehow crawled under the safety bar while the ride was moving, falling about 4 feet, according to the Chicago Sun-Times.

He unfortunately died.

Roller coaster accidents are not uncommon--not even for the Python Pit, which only goes as high as 8 feet and is considered suitable for young children, reports the paper.

According to an attorney who is currently suing Go Bananas for a Python Pit-related injury, at least 3 other young children have been injured by the ride. Regulators have no record of one of these incidents.

An inspector from the Illinois Department of Labor is currently looking into the Python Pit accident, trying to determine how Jayson got out of his seat, reports the Chicago Tribune. The ride, however, had recently passed its annual state inspection.

Though this is a very tragic accident, someone will have to be held liable for Jayson's death. It's unclear whether it will be Go Bananas.

Investigators need to determine whether the accident was the result of operator error, mechanical error, maintenance, or a design defect.

If Go Bananas improperly operated the Python Pit, or failed to maintain and inspect it in a reasonable fashion, they may be held liable. However, if a design defect or mechanical error is to blame, the coaster's manufacturer may ultimately be at fault.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard