Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Martha Stewart Chair Lawsuits Settled

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

Kmart and its infamous craft-maven partner have agreed to settle a group of Martha Stewart chair lawsuits that left a Kentucky child, an Illinois college student, and a New York retiree without full use of their fingers.

Apparently, a line of Stewart-branded and designed patio chairs sold at the discount retailer unintentionally came with a built-in, secondary function.

The legs acted as a mini-guillotine.

Though the terms of the settlement are unknown, the Associated Press reports that both Kmart and Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia have agreed to its terms.

While Kmart sold the product, Stewart's company is ultimately responsible for the chair's design, making it at least partially liable for any design defects that caused injuries.

In this case, because the patio chairs lacked an additional bolt, the legs would somehow snap forward, causing hands and fingers to become caught in a small area, leading to injuries as severe as finger amputation.

Sandy Caffoe, the retiree, lost two fingers and function of her right hand, according to the AP. She likely recovered a hefty amount, as her injuries were life-altering, requiring her to find new ways to cope and go about her daily routines.

Strangely, this isn't the first time Kmart has sold dangerous Martha Stewart patio furniture.

In addition to these Martha Stewart chair lawsuits, in 2006, there was a group of Martha Stewart table lawsuits after a number of her glass patio tables spontaneously exploded and shattered in consumer homes across the country.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard