Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options Will Screen for Sex Offenders

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on April 20, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

In the face of a lawsuit by a woman who was allegedly raped by her sex offender date, has vehemently defended its policy of not screening members against the national sex offender registry.

The dating site has now changed its tune, announcing Sunday night that it will begin screening members.

The catch? They cannot and will not guarantee members' safety.

As a quick recap, the lawsuit stems from an incident wherein a woman, on her second date with a man she met on the site, was allegedly raped. It turned out he had been convicted of sexual battery.

The plaintiff blames for its failure to conduct background checks.

In a statement to the press, the plaintiff's attorney asserted that he had petitioned the court to issue a preliminary injunction barring the dating site from signing up any new members while the lawsuit proceeded.

His motivation was to force the dating site to start screening members. maintains that its change in policy was prompted by the increased reliability of the sex offender database, which it previously felt was not sufficiently accurate for screening purposes.

Regardless of motivation, the site's response to the lawsuit is not as generous as it appears.

Along with its announcement, the site cautioned members that it could not guarantee its members' safety, reports CNN. The website also still retains language that places sole responsibility on members and limits's liability.

So, while the change will result in another layer of security, users are still on their own should a sex offender slip through the cracks.

Related Source:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard