Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

McDonalds Sued: Glass in McChicken Worth $600K?

By Jason Beahm | Last updated on

Would you like fries with your glass McChicken sandwich? Vjollca Lecaj claims that a Chicago McDonald's served her a sandwich with an extra ingredient: pieces of broken glass. She has filed a lawsuit in Cook County Circuit court against the world's biggest fast food chain, CBS/WBBM reports.

Lecaj alleges that biting into the glass McChicken caused her "severe and permanent oral injuries as well as great pain and anguish." She claims that McDonalds failed to adequately maintain, inspect and monitor the restaurant's kitchen. She is suing based on claims of product liability and negligence. When someone acts in a careless way that causes injury to another, the careless person will be legally liable for any resulting harm.

So what kind of compensation does a person deserve for biting into glass in a chicken sandwich? Lecaj says $600,000. That will buy quite a few McChickens.

Consumers often believe that they are entitled to compensation when they find an unwanted or dangerous item in their food. However, just because you find something in your food doesn't automatically mean that you're going to be able to sue a restaurant for millions of dollars.

First, you'll have to be able to prove that the restaurant is responsible for the offending item. Assuming that you can, you would proceed on a typical negligence claim. Then you'll have to be able to prove your damages.

In the case of Lecaj, it's too early to tell whether her claim has any legs. At least for now, McDonalds isn't commenting on the alleged glass McChicken, CBS/WBBM reports.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard