Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

New Mexico Woman Mauled to Death by Pit Bulls

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on April 27, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

By all accounts, Truth or Consequences, New Mexico is a fairly quiet town about an hour north of Las Cruces. But since Sunday, the small city has been making national headlines.

Out for an afternoon walk, resident Margaret Salcedo, 48, was suddenly and unexpectedly attacked by four pit bull mixes.

She died soon after at the hospital.

From what witnesses recall, Margaret Salcedo was walking through her neighborhood when the pit bull attack took place.

She attempted to call for help on her cell phone, but dropped it when one of the pit bulls bit her arm, reports UPI. The pit bull attack then continued for about 3 minutes, leaving bites over her entire body.

Before officers arrived, a man tried to help, but the dogs forced him to remain in his car, reports Reuters. An officer was faced with the same problem, but shot one of the dogs.

When discussing a pit bull attack, one must keep in mind that any dog can attack and it is the responsibility of an owner to properly train their pet. There are many friendly pit bulls in the world.

However, the estate of Margaret Salcedo would be justified and would likely win a suit against the dogs' owners if they sued for wrongful death. Dog owners are liable for these kinds of attacks, especially when the breed is considered to be more dangerous.

It's unclear at the moment how the pit bulls escaped from a nearby yard and whether the owners trained the dogs to be vicious. If this later contention turns out to be true, they may also face criminal manslaughter charges.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard