Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Parents of Virginia Tech Student Sue School over Suicide

By Minara El-Rahman | Last updated on

The parents of a Virginia Tech student plan to sue the school for not invervening before it was too late. The Washington Post reports that Mr. William Kim and Mrs. Elizabeth Kim are suing Virginia Tech for negligence over their son Daniel Kim's suicide on December 9, 2007.  

The Virginia Tech student committed suicide shortly after the Virginia Tech shooting. According to The Virginian-Pilot, Mr. Daniel Kim, a Korean-American confided in his sister that he feared that he resembled the Virginia Tech shooter Mr. Seung-Hui Cho who was a Korean.

After the shooting, Mr. Kim stopped attending classes and confided in a friend that he was ready to end his life. His friend, Shaun Pribush contacted Virginia Tech in order to let them know that Mr. Kim was on the verge of committing suicide. He sent the email on November 5, 2007. According to The Virginian-Pilot it read: "Daniel has been acting very suicidal recently, purchasing a $200 pistol, and claiming he'll go through with it. This is very serious."

Mr. Kim's parents allege that despite this knowledge, university officials did nothing to help their son get the help he needed. Once the university received this email, it discussed the email in a Virginia Tech care team meeting, but no further action was taken.

The family's attorney claims that the university "squandered an opportunity to help" Mr. Daniel Kim. The attorney was quoted by The Virginian-Pilot as saying, "What I find appalling is that this came on the heels of the Cho incident and they just didn't respond the way they were charged to respond."

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

Response sent, thank you

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard