Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Reports: 14 Lawsuits Filed Against Oklahoma City Surgeon Since 2007

By David Goguen | Last updated on

An Oklahoma City surgeon has been the subject of at least 14 lawsuits in the last year, including a wrongful death claim filed by the father of a teenage patient who died while under the surgeon's care, multiple news sources are reporting.

On Tuesday, Fox News reported that a medical malpractice lawsuit had been filed against Oklahoma City surgeon Paul Christopher Francel, by a former patient who will be representing himself in Oklahoma County District Court.

In February, Sabit Kurbanov filed a wrongful death complaint against Francel, over allegedly negligent care that caused the death of Kurbanov's 16-year-old son David, according to, which reports that "Francel has been named as a defendant in at least a dozen civil lawsuits claiming medical negligence since June 2007."

Francel has already reached an agreement with Oklahoma medical officials, pledging that he will not practice medicine while the Oklahoma Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision investigation is ongoing, according to

The Law of Medical Malpractice. As medical professionals, physicians and surgeons are held to a specific standard of care when treating patients and practicing medicine. In the eyes of the law, this threshhold is typically referred to as the "generally accepted standard of care" in the medical community -- taking into consideration the specific type of medicine or procedure being practiced, and the circumstances of the treatment.

Doctors and other medical professionals can be held legally liable if the care they provide falls below this accepted standard of care. And affected patients may be able to bring a medical malpractice lawsuit for a health problem that was overlooked or made worse by a doctor's action or inaction. (Learn more about Medical Malpractice cases.)

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard