Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Tesla Motors Recalls Most "Roadster" Electric Cars

By David Goguen on June 01, 2009 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Tesla Motors, the maker of cutting edge all-electric cars, announced last week that it is recalling most vehicles in its "Roadster" model line because of a defect that could cause suspension problems.

The recall affects all 345 of the all-electric Roadster model vehicles manufactured prior to April 22 by Tesla Motors, based in San Carlos, California. The company's other all-electric vehicle, the "Model S," is still in the prototype development phase and is not impacted by the recall. 

Tesla Motors says that no accidents have been reported in connection with the defect -- an "improperly torqued" bolt -- which was discovered after a Roadster owner reported "uncharacteristic handling," according to a Press Release from Tesla Motors.

The company also announced that it will send technicians on "house calls" to fix the problem at vehicle owners' homes, or will arrange to pick up the vehicle and bring it to a service center for repairs, free of charge.

According to the Los Angeles Times, Tesla has delivered about 500 vehicles in the Roadster model line, which are assembled in Britain by Lotus, and then shipped to California for installation of the cars' electric powertrain and batteries. Lotus is also recalling some of its own 2009 Elise and Exige model sports cars due to the same suspension problem, the Times reports, citing a National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recall notice that warns: "If the problem is not addressed promptly, the driver could lose control of the vehicle, resulting in a crash."

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard