Top 5 Posts on Non-Profit Organization
Whether you are season non-profit professional or you are a budding social entrepreneur contemplating your first venture, you may find yourself thirsty for knowledge about all things non-profit.
Over the past few months, we have been posting about various aspects of non-profit organization. Here is a rundown of our top 5 posts...
1. 5 Types of 501(c)3 Non-Profit Organizations - This post hit a chord with readers. Included is a rundown of 5 garden-variety non-profit categories that fall under the 501(c)3 umbrella. Take a look to get an idea of the similarities and differences of the various types.
2. Pros and Cons of Non-Profit 501(c)3 Incorporation - Another popular pick among the Free Enterprising audience, this post provides "gateway" information--to help an individual with an idea assess whether they should incorporate as a non-profit or as a for-profit entity. It also has a few questions you can pose to yourself or team of amped organizers to help you decide.
3. Start a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit in 5 Steps - Continuing where the previous item left off, this is a follow-up for a wannabe non-profiteer as they consider how to navigate the waters to form their non-profit organization. It contains specific IRS Form sections so you can save time by cutting to the chase.
4. 5 Things Non-Profits Should Know About Planned Giving - This post makes the list because of the prevalence of its subject in non-profit circles. Planned giving can be a meaningful and sustainable way for a 501(c) organization to raise funding. And though it requires some back-end investment--such as professional legal and tax guidance--the long-term benefits can make a great impact. The "Related Resources" will also spin you off in a few interesting directions.
5. What is a 501(c)(4) Non Profit Organization? - That's right 501(c) isn't the only non-profit on the block. This post provides a little background on this relative of the classic 501(c) non-profit. What are examples of 501(c)4 orgs? Think AARP and NAACP.
Overall we have just scratched the surface on topics on non-profit organizations. So take a look at these posts and keep checking back to find out more.
- Nonprofit Basics (FindLaw)
- Busniess Formation (provided by Kaplan & Associates, L.L.P.)
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.