Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Dez Bryant's Mom Wants to Drop Case Against Dallas Cowboy's WR

By Andrew Lu on July 25, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant was arrested earlier this month after allegedly beating up his mother.

Dez Bryant's mother, Angela Bryant, now reportedly doesn't want to pursue charges against her son, perhaps ending the prosecutor's case.

Prosecutors still haven't decided if they will drop the case. But without their star witness behind them, it's not clear what kind of case they can bring against the wide receiver.

Two weeks ago, Dez Bryant and his mom reportedly had an argument that turned violent, reports The Associated Press. Bryant allegedly slapped his mother across the face with a baseball cap and then grabbed her by her T-shirt, causing her bra to tear. Earlier reports had Bryant knocking down his mother and pulling her by the hair, but it's not clear if these allegations were substantiated.

Bryant was accused of misdemeanor family violence and could have faced prison time. In Texas, assault against a family member can carry higher penalties than simple assault.

With Dez Bryant's mother now wanting to drop charges against her son, it will be up to prosecutors to decide whether or not to move forward. Generally, prosecutors will consider the wishes of the complainant, but they are not bound by the complainant's decision. In other words, just because Angela Bryant doesn't want to press charges, this does not mean that prosecutors will drop the case.

Some factors prosecutors may consider in deciding whether or not to move forward can include the severity of the incident, the evidence they already have, and whether or not they want to make an example of Dez Bryant.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard