Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Did Kobe Injure Man at San Diego Church?

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on August 16, 2011 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Rumor has it that Kobe, cell phone cameras, and church services simply don't mix.

The Lakers shooting guard is apparently accused of injuring a man during Sunday's services at St. Therese of Carmel Church in San Diego after he suspected that photos were being taken of him and his wife.

He allegedly "wrenched" the guy's wrist.

Kobe allegedly confronted his fellow churchgoer after spotting him acting as though he was taking photos with his cell phone.

The confrontation occurred at the back of the church mid-service, with the Los Angeles Times reporting that Kobe allegedly grabbed the man's cell phone from his hand.

After he saw no photos had been taken, he returned the phone and then left with his family and friends.

Speaking to KGTV after the incident took place, the OC Register reports that the victim claims to have undergone treatment at a local hospital.

His alleged injuries have been reported as a "minor wrist sprain" by the Los Angeles Times.

Though police are still investigating the Kobe cell phone incident and wish to speak to all participants and witnesses, with a cash-strapped prosecutors' office, chances are that no charges will be filed, as it was a minor altercation with little to no injury.

However, if the alleged victim so desires, he could probably file a lawsuit against Kobe.

Cell phone stealing, when taken from a person's hand, may be sufficient enough to argue in civil court that Kobe committed assault and battery and should be held liable for all injuries, however minor.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard