Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Ex-Yankee Rusty Torres Pleads Not Guilty to Sex Abuse of Girl, 8

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. on May 10, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Did Rusty Torres sexually abuse an 8-year-old girl?

The former Yankees outfielder has been charged with four misdemeanor counts of sexual abuse. Prosecutors say he exposed himself to a young girl in the back of a van provided by the Town of Oyster Bay. He worked as a youth baseball coach and, until his arrest, was on the town payroll.

Attorney Scott Carrigan disputes the allegations and insists Torres is innocent. But is he?

The criminal complaint filed with the court claims Rusty Torres admitted to the sexual abuse, according to the New York Daily News. He and the girl were reportedly playing at the park when he became aroused. She was hanging upside down from a bar and he could see her underwear.

He allegedly said that he "accidentally exposed [his] erect penis" but "stopped [himself] before anything bad happened to her." There are also claims that he rubbed himself against the girl earlier in the week.

The fact that these statements were included in the criminal complaint suggests that they are true. Prosecutors aren't legally permitted to assert false facts in court documents. So unless the prosecutors or investigators falsified a confession, Torres is going to have a very difficult time earning an acquittal.

As such, he was probably advised to plead not guilty so that his attorney could negotiate a plea deal. If there are no other victims, it's a good chance Rusty Torres' sexual abuse charges will end in minimal jail time, probation and an order to stay away from minors and places they congregate.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard