Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Hines Ward's DUI Arrest Video: WR Feared Bad Press, ESPN

By Andrew Chow, Esq. on March 15, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward's DUI case has been resolved in court, but newly released police video of his arrest reveals the NFL free agent's greatest fear: bad publicity.

"Can I get out on bail or ... this is going to be all in the newspapers though?" Hines Ward asks in the video, taken inside a police cruiser in July 2011 and obtained by the gossip website TMZ. "Only if you tell somebody," an officer replies.

"No, I already know ESPN -- they always be looking for s--- like that," Ward says in response.

Hines Ward was already in handcuffs and being driven to a police station for booking when the DUI arrest video was taken, according to TMZ. Police in DeKalb County, Ga., arrested Ward for DUI after he allegedly swerved in and out of his lane, then hit a curb in his expensive Aston Martin, TMZ reports.

In a plea deal, prosecutors dropped Ward's DUI charge after Ward pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of reckless driving. A judge sentenced Ward to a year of probation, according to TMZ.

But in the cruiser video, Ward seems to fear the media spotlight more than the legal consequences of his DUI arrest. When a police officer tries to reassure Ward that ESPN reporters "have to know to look" for stories of pro athletes' arrests, Ward replied, "They look every night!"

"Where?" the officer says.

"Wherever the f--- they know where to look at! Oh my goodness," Ward says. "They're gonna have me all up on ESPN and stuff."

You can watch the Hines Ward DUI arrest video here:

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard