Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Roberto Alomar's Wife Accused Him of Spreading HIV

By Jason Beahm | Last updated on

Of all the surefire ways to make another person angry, giving them HIV has to be pretty high up on the list. So it should come as little surprise that after the wife of a former baseball star allegedly discovered that her husband had HIV, she left Alomar and sued him.

Roberto Alomar's wife, who has filed for divorce, alleges that he had unprotected sex with her despite the fact that he knew he had HIV. According to the divorce papers filed by Maria Del Pilar Rivera Alomar, Alomar "knew prior to his first sexual contact with (her) that he was HIV-positive," reported the New York Post.

Alomar has been accused of potentially spreading HIV before. Llya Dall filed a lawsuit in 2009, alleging that Alomar had unprotected sex with her for four years. She sought $15 million in damages and eventually settled for an undisclosed amount.

Rivera Alomar defended Alomar against the accusations by Dall, calling her lawsuit a lie. But now she is accusing the former All-Star of the same thing.

In some states, it is a crime for someone who has HIV to intentionally transmit the infection to someone else. Most laws involve transmission by sexual intercourse, oral sex or anal sex, however, there could be penalties for transmission by other means as well. In sexual transmission cases, the behavior is often punished under battery laws, such as "infected sexual battery."

In addition, several states require someone who has knowledge of their HIV infection to inform potential partners before having sexual relations.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard