Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

RIAA Lawyers Want to Teach Charles Nesson a Lesson About Posting Recordings Online

By Kevin Fayle on July 06, 2009 | Last updated on March 21, 2019
Wired's Threat Level blog is reporting that the Recording Industry Association of America has filed a motion to compel Charles Nesson to cease recording and posting depositions and other discovery materials to his blog or to the website for the Berkman Center for Internet & Society.  The motion also requests monetary sanctions for Nesson.

The motion comes after Nesson recorded multiple depositions and at least one phone conversation between the judge in the case and RIAA lawyers.  The RIAA lawyers argue that Nesson posted the recordings to the internet, even after the judge instructed him not to.  The judge has already admonished Nesson that taping conversations in Massachusetts is illegal without the consent of all the parties to the conversation. 
The RIAA aren't the only people that Nesson has annoyed with his postings of recorded conversations and other communications.  Nesson previously posted internal communications between members of his team to his blog, as well of a recording of his wife making disparaging comments about a team member.  He eventually removed them after the other parties bristled at the unwanted publicity a little bit.

This latest motion comes after Nesson's failed attempt to have the entire proceedings webcast.  Throughout the case he has argued that the suit is really about the openness of the internet at its core, and that his postings are only meant to put this theory into practice.

"I'm opening it up," the Wired post quotes Nesson as saying. "That's what I founded the Berkman Center to fight for."

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard