Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Scooter Companies Sued by Disability Rights Activists

By William Vogeler, Esq. on January 24, 2019 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

Scooters are hitting some expensive road blocks, this time for allegedly violating disability laws.

A disability rights group has sued e-scooter companies, including Bird and Lime, in San Diego. The lawsuit claims the vehicles are dangerous to people with physical disabilities.

The companies are already facing class-actions for accidents and injuries to everybody else. It was only a matter of time before the scooters tripped over disability liability.

Disability Liability

In Montoya v. City of San Diego, the proposed class-action says the city has not kept sidewalks, crosswalks, and other public areas safe from the scooters.

The lawsuit also says the scooter companies created the hazards, and have forced disabled people off the public rights of way.

"Scooter Defendants hinder and inhibit Plaintiffs from using the system of sidewalks, crosswalks, transit stops, curb ramps, pedestrian crossings and other walkways, and have actually caused Plaintiffs to use the sidewalks less often," it says.

The same could be said for everybody who is not using the scooters. In fact, it has been said in more than a few cases.

Lime, Bird

Lime and Bird are the usual suspects in these lawsuits, including a class-action that alleges the companies are negligently responsible for accidents.

In one class-action, a woman said she tripped over a scooter left on a sidewalk and suffered multiple fractures.

And it's not just pedestrians who are complaining. Scooter riders are also suing for their injuries.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard