Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Haverford Township Seeks Legal Fees from Man Who Sued Cop

By Tanya Roth, Esq. | Last updated on

Last week, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals held in favor of Haverford Township in a police brutality case.

This week, the township is seeking to recoup costs from the plaintiff for expenses incurred by the township while fighting the claim and the appeal.

As reported in The Philadelphia Inquirer, James E. Healy claimed that he was assaulted by a Haverford police officer on the evening of July 6, 2007. At the time of the incident, Healy had been pulled over by Officer William Shields. Healy exited his vehicle to inquire why he had been pulled over and according to the officer's account, had pushed the officer. Only at that time, the officer claimed, did he use a Taser, after Healy refused to return to his vehicle.

Subsequently, Healy pleaded guilty to driving under the influence with a suspended license. He sued the township, claiming that Officer Shields had shot Healy with a Taser gun without provocation.

His lawsuit was rejected by a U.S. District Court in December of 2010.

The 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the lower court's rejection of Healy. But Healy has refused to pay legal fees, reports The Inquirer.

Now, Haverford Township's attorney, Robert DiDomenicis, has filed two petitions to seek court costs from Healy. The first petition is in Federal District Court, seeking $1,474.60 for the costs associated with printed or electronically recorded transcripts and copies "necessarily obtained for use in the case."

The petition filed in the 3rd Circuit Court of Appeals seeks $746.69 for legal briefs, appendices and copies.

The matter should be decided within the next 90 days.

Related Resources

Was this helpful?

Response sent, thank you

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard