Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Minnesota Child Visitation Rights

Parents can work together to make decisions about custody after their romantic relationship ends. If they can't reach a consensus concerning custody and visitation, then the court will decide.

When the child lives with one parent, the other parent (referred to as the "noncustodial parent") typically receives visitation or "parenting time" with the child. The purpose of parenting time is to maintain the parent/child relationship even though the parties aren't living together.

Minnesota Child Visitation Rights at a Glance

The ideal way to get help with understanding complex statutes is by consulting with an attorney. However, you can also learn about the law with a helpful breakdown of state statutes that's written in plain language. Read the chart below for a breakdown of child visitation rights in Minnesota.


Minnesota Statutes Chapter 517-519A:

  • Section 518.155 (custody determination)
  • Section 518.175 (parenting time)
  • Section 518.619 (child visitation; mediation services)
  • Section 518.1751 (parenting time dispute resolution)
  • Section 518.1752 (grandparent visitation)

Parenting Plans

Parenting time may be set in a parenting plan if the parties agree to it. A parenting plan states the time that each parent will spend with the child and who will make decisions for the child.

Parenting Time Restrictions

Typical Visitation Provisions

Typically, the noncustodial parent receives a minimum of 25% of parenting time. However, a judge may order parenting time for the noncustodial parent to less than 25% if it's not in the child's best interests and if it's likely to harm the child's emotional and physical well-being.

The court may limit parenting time by:

  • Ordering supervised visitation; visitation is supervised by the other parent or a third party (a relative or someone from an agency like a county welfare department);
  • Banning overnight visits;
  • Putting conditions on visits such as mandating that the parent attend drug or alcohol rehab or treatment or that the parent must abstain from alcohol and/or drugs before, during, and after visits.

Denial of Visitation Rights

If a parent has concerns about the other parent, they may request a change in the parenting time order. The court will modify the order if the parent poses a threat to the child or parent's safety or if the other parent has consistently violated the parenting time agreement.

However, a parent can't deny the visitation rights of the other parent without cause. For instance, a parent's failure to pay support because of their inability to pay is not a sufficient reason. If this occurs, the court may do the following:

  • Allow the parent to make-up the missed parenting time;
  • Find the violating parent in contempt of court, which includes paying fines;
  • Use the denial of parenting time as a factor to changing custody.

Child Relocation

A parent who has been granted parenting time must give their permission (in writing) if the custodial parent wants to move the child out of state.

It's a crime for the parent and child to move without the permission and the custodial parent could lose custody as a result.

If the parent doesn't give permission, then the parents must go to court for a ruling on the proposed move.

Note: State laws are always subject to change through the passage of new legislation, rulings in the higher courts (including federal decisions), ballot initiatives, and other means. While we strive to provide the most current information available, please consult an attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.

Minnesota Child Visitation Rights: Related Resources

If You Need Help with Minnesota Child Visitation Rights, Contact an Experienced Lawyer

If you're a parent who needs help asserting their visitation rights or you want to change the parenting time agreement, then you should talk to an experienced lawyer. Contact a Minnesota child custody attorney near you today to learn more.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Can I Solve This on My Own or Do I Need an Attorney?

  • Family law matters are often complex and require a lawyer
  • Lawyers can protect your rights and seek the best outcome

Get tailored family law advice and ask a lawyer questions. Many attorneys offer free consultations.


 If you need an attorney, find one right now.

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options