Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

How to Change Your Name and Gender Marker If You Are a Minor in Oregon

If you're a minor in Oregon who is in the process of a gender transition or identifies as transgender/non-binary/intersex/gender non-conforming, you may be wondering how to legally change your name and gender marker on important government documents. This overview will walk you through the steps for getting your identification documents changed.

Legal Name or Sex Change

To obtain a court-ordered name or sex change in Oregon, you'll need a parent, legal guardian, or legal representative to file an application for you. They'll have to file the following documents in the circuit court of the county where you live (as well as any additional documents your county might require):

Notice of your application won't be published, but you will be required to give written notice to any living parent or guardian who didn't sign your petition, unless you haven't lived with a parent and that parent doesn't contribute — and hasn't tried to contribute — to child support. You will not have to attend a hearing unless the court tells you or sends you a hearing notice.

Once all of the above steps are completed, the court will enter a judgment and send you a Notice of Entry of Judgment. To get a copy of the judgment, you'll have to contact the court and ask what the process is since each county has different rules. That is proof of your new name and gender reassignment.

How Much Does a Court-Ordered Change of Name or Change of Sex Cost?

The filing fee is $124, but you have the option to request a fee waiver if you can't afford it.

Documents to Update After Receiving a Court Order

You may want to update your name and sex designation on all your other identity documents after receiving a probate court order. Being a minor, your other documents will most likely include the following:

  • Driver's license/state ID card
  • Birth certificate (get an amended birth certificate from the Department of Health
  • Healthcare records (including records of appropriate clinical treatment)
  • School records
  • Social Security (get a new Social Security card from Social Security Administration)
  • U.S. Passport (get further information from the State Department at

Changing Your Name and Gender Designation on Your Driver's License/ID

To change your name and gender marker on your Oregon driver's license/state ID, you'll need to:

  1. Make an appointment at the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV),
  2. Request a new card with your correct gender marker online,
  3. Make sure you meet the requirements for a renewal or replacement driver's license/ID, and
  4. Pay the renewal or replacement fee

If you are changing your name on your driver's license/ID, you'll also need to bring proof of identity and your full legal name. A court order will meet this requirement for a legal name change.

Changing Your Name and Gender Marker on Your Birth Certificate

In Oregon, you can file an Application to Change the Name and/or Sex on a Record of Live Birth to Support Gender Identity with Oregon Vital Records to change both your name and gender marker on your birth certificate at the same time.

If you are under 18 years old and not emancipated, you'll need either a parent on your birth record, your legal guardian, or a legal representative to file the application.

Do I Need to Go to Court to Change My Name/Gender Marker?

There is no court order or hearing required to change your name or gender marker on your birth certificate. You simply need to attest, in front of a notary, in an affidavit that you're requesting a name and gender marker change to support your gender identity and that the sex on your birth certificate is different from your gender identity. You can then get a new birth certificate.

If you've obtained a court order, you can use it to change your name and/or gender marker on your amended birth certificate by providing it to the Oregon Vital Records office. If the court order changes your legal name, you'll need your parent, guardian, or representative to sign a Request to Change Birth Certificate Based on Court Order of Name Change.

How Much Does It Cost?

There is an amendment fee of $35 and a certified copy fee of $25. Every additional copy is $25. To order additional certified copies, you can file an Oregon Birth Record Order Form.

Is the “X" Gender Marker Available in Oregon?

Yes! Oregon provides a non-binary “X" gender marker option on both driver's licenses/IDs as well as birth certificates.

When to Contact an Attorney

While the articles in this section provide additional detail about the basics of changing your name and gender marker for transgender people, it can be a wise decision to speak with a skilled LGBTQ+ law attorney near you.

A local attorney can guide you through the process of filing for a name or gender marker change in the State of Oregon and help you determine what the best steps are to protect your privacy and safety throughout the process.

Note: State laws are always subject to change through the passage of new legislation, rulings in the higher courts (including federal decisions), ballot initiatives, and other means. While we strive to provide the most current information available, please consult an attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options