Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Washington Child Support Payment

All parents are responsible for their children by law. Even if a parent doesn't want physical custody of their child, they're still required to provide for their children financially. While only the noncustodial parent is usually required to pay child support to the custodial parent, some states use both parents' incomes to calculate the amount of child support that a child will receive.

In Washington, the Division of Child Support (DSC) is responsible for collecting and disbursing child support. The best way to make child support payments is through the DSC because it will ensure that the payor receives credit for the payments. While payments can be made directly to the custodial parent, it's important to have a written record so that the payor can get credit for those payments.

Washington Child Support Payment at a Glance

Following the law is important, but sometimes it can be difficult to understand exactly what the law is since statutory language is often written in "legalese." For this reason, it can be helpful to read an overview of the law in plain English. In the following table, you can find an overview of laws governing how child support payments are made in Washington and links to applicable statutes.


Washington Revised Code:

Payment Options

While most payments are made by withholding wages, there are other options for making child support payments:

Mandatory Wage Assignment

A petition or motion for mandatory wage assignment can be filed by the payee if the payor is:

  • Subject to a support order that allows immediate income withholding; or
  • More than 15 days late in child support payments in an amount that's equal to or more than one month's payment amount.
Difficulty Making Payments

If making child support payments becomes difficult due to life changes, such as the loss of a job, the parent can petition the court to modify the child support order.

Related Statute(s)

Washington Revised Code:

Note: State laws are always subject to change through the passage of new legislation, rulings in the higher courts (including federal decisions), ballot initiatives, and other means. While we strive to provide the most current information available, please consult an attorney or conduct your own legal research to verify the state law(s) you are researching.

Washington Child Support Payment: Related Resources

If you'd like additional information and resources related to this topic, please visit the links provided below.

Get a Better Understanding of Child Support Payments in Washington: Talk to a Lawyer

If you have questions about making child support payments, or need help getting child support, it's a best to speak with an experienced child support attorney in Washington who can review your situation and explain your legal options moving forward. Get started by reaching out to an attorney near you today.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney

Contact a qualified attorney.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options