Before You File
It is important to do your research before you file for bankruptcy. In this section, you will find resources and answers to common questions about what bankruptcy can do for you and what you need to begin the process toward a better financial future.
As part of this process, consider speaking with a lawyer who can answer your initial questions and help you determine if bankruptcy is right for you. You can find an experienced, local bankruptcy lawyer through our attorney directory. Many offer free consultations.
Click on the links below to learn more:
Working With a Lawyer
- Can I File Bankruptcy Without a Lawyer?
- Checklist: Documents To Show to Your Bankruptcy Attorney
- Using a Bankruptcy Attorney: What to Expect
- Bankruptcy Checklists & Sample Forms
- Sample Cease Communications Letter To Creditor
- Forms for Filing Bankruptcy
What Is Bankruptcy?
- What Is Bankrupcy?
- Is Bankruptcy a Good Idea?
- Bankruptcy: Advantages and Disadvantages
- Bankruptcy and Foreclosures
- Can You Clear Medical Debt in Bankruptcy?
- Can You File for Bankruptcy While Unemployed?
- Ask a Lawyer: Can Bankruptcy Affect Your Job Prospects?
- Ask a Lawyer: Can Bankruptcy Clear Lawsuit Judgments?
- Ask a Lawyer: Can Bankruptcy Stop Wage Garnishment?
- What Happens When You File for Bankruptcy?