Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Drug Paraphernalia Charges

While you're probably aware that drugs such as marijuana, cocaine and heroin are illegal under federal and most states' law, you might not know that people can be prosecuted for owning or selling related items or objects, even if they aren't in possession of the actual drugs. This article covers what you need to know about laws prohibiting drug-related paraphernalia.

Drug Paraphernalia Laws

Under federal law, it is unlawful to do any of the following:

  • Sell or offer to sell drug paraphernalia,
  • Mail drug paraphernalia or transport it through interstate commerce,
  • Import or export drug paraphernalia.

Simple possession of paraphernalia is not a federal crime. However, under some state laws merely owning or having these items is illegal. Police may check for drug residue, and if it's clear that a pipe, bong, hookah or other item was used for smoking illegal substances, a person may face drug paraphernalia charges.

Examples of Drug Paraphernalia

Federal law lists numerous specific examples of prohibited paraphernalia, including:

  • Pipes made of glass, wood, stone, plastic or ceramic,
  • Water pipes, bongs and chillums (a long hollow pipe usually made of clay),
  • Roach clips (objects used to hold burning materials like rolled cigarettes or joints that are too small to be held by hand),
  • Miniature spoons that hold less than one-tenth of a cubic centimeter, often used for snorting cocaine,
  • Freebase cocaine kits, or paraphernalia used to smoke cocaine.

Some states have longer lists of banned items. For instance, Washington State adds:

  • Scales and balances intended to weigh controlled substances,
  • Equipment designed to test the strength or purity of controlled substances,
  • Materials or chemicals used to "cut" or dilute the strength of narcotics,
  • Syringes or needles for injecting controlled substances.

Both federal and state laws identify various factors that law enforcement officials must use to distinguish between a lawful physical object (e.g., a scale or a spoon) and unlawful drug paraphernalia.

In states that have legalized marijuana for recreational use, lawmakers may have eliminated certain objects from the list, such as bongs or roach clips. However, even if a state no longer outlaws these items, it's important to be aware that federal law still considers them to be illegal drug paraphernalia and forbids their sale.

Penalties for Possessing or Distributing

Punishments for drug paraphernalia are generally less severe than for offenses involving illicit drugs themselves. Under the federal statute, the maximum sentence for selling paraphernalia is three years, plus a fine. As noted above, federal law does not outlaw possession per se.

Under state law, penalties vary. For example, in Ohio drug paraphernalia possession is a fourth-degree misdemeanor (punishable by up to 30 days of jail time plus a fine), but dealing in paraphernalia is a misdemeanor of the second degree (up to 90 days in jail plus a larger fine). While most states treat paraphernalia distribution as a misdemeanor, some punish it as a felony if it involves sale of items to minors.

Get Legal Help with Your Drug Paraphernalia Charges

If you've been accused of a drug paraphernalia offense or any other crime, don't waste a moment before speaking with an experienced attorney who knows the ropes and will protect your legal rights. Contact a qualified drug crime lawyer near you today.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified criminal lawyer to make sure your rights are protected.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options