Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Checklist: Documents to Show your Adoption Attorney

The adoption process usually involves gathering many official documents, completing many forms, making numerous copies, and compiling quite a collection of material. The following list includes many of the documents that you may need to obtain or complete in order to get your adoption in motion. Your attorney can explain these forms to you, tell you how you can get them, and answer any questions that arise as you attempt to complete them.

  • Certified copies of birth certificate(s) of adoptive parent(s)
  • Certified copy of marriage certificate, if applicable
  • Certified copy of divorce decree(s), if applicable
  • Doctor's physical examination form(s)
  • Statement from health insurance company that adopted child will be covered upon placement
  • Criminal background check release forms and reports
  • Social service agency release forms and reports
  • Local police department letters/reports of good standing
  • Passports
  • Immigration and Naturalization Service forms
  • Letters of reference
  • Home study

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified attorney specializing in adoptions.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options