Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Using an Adoption Agency

There are a number of benefits to choosing an agency to help with your adoption. Typically, agencies are skilled at matching children to families and are familiar with the wide variety of legal issues that tend to come up. In most instances, an adoption agency can help prospective parents with a wide range of services -- from finding the child's biological parents to organizing and filing the adoption paperwork. Adoption agencies also can help with home inspections, obtaining consent from birth parents, and even helping parents understand various state laws that deal with adoptions.

This article provides a general overview of agency adoptions (versus independent adoptions) and the advantages of using an adoption agency.

Private and Public Adoption Agencies

Most adoption agencies can be broken down into two categories: private and public. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. So, review your options carefully before deciding.

Private Adoption Agencies

One of the main benefits of a private adoption agency is that it will provide extensive counseling for adoptive parents, children, and even a child's biological parents. In addition to helping smooth the transition to a new family, counseling has the benefit of protecting the adoptive parent later on in the process. Generally speaking, biological parents who don't receive counseling are less likely to sign the necessary paperwork to finalize the process.

However, there are also disadvantages to private agencies. They're often very selective when it comes to the parents with whom they work. In addition, private agencies tend to handle fewer infant adoptions. They use many screening factors to pick and choose adoptive parents, such as:

  • Age
  • Marital status
  • Income
  • Health
  • Religion
  • Sexual orientation
  • Personal history
  • Family size

Public Adoption Agencies

Through public adoption agencies, you will likely find children of backgrounds different from those handled by private adoption agencies. For example, many of the children are older, while they are also likelier to have spent their lives in various group homes and foster families. It is likelier, too, that they may have special needs, while it is also far more common to find children from early childhoods characterized by abuse. The likelihood that the child was born to or raised by a drug-addicted parent is higher, as well. Additionally, public agencies often don't have the resources to provide other services, such as counseling, that help the adoption process.

With fewer services, public agencies can charge much less than private agencies. They may ever offer free services. Private agencies can cost tens, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars.

Expenses of Agency Adoptions

If you choose a private agency for your adoption, you can expect to pay a high premium for their services. For example, if you've been matched with a pregnant person through the agency, you may end up paying for the medical and living expenses incurred by that person before the child is born.

How much a private agency will charge for adoption is determined by their fee structure. Some agencies charge a flat fee for each adoption. This fee can vary, depending on the age of the child. However, according to some sources, adoption through a private agency can cost anywhere between $30,000 and $60,000. If you choose to go through a public, state-funded agency for your adoption, you probably won't be required to pay any fees.

Finally, aside from adoption agency fees, keep in mind that you may still have to hire and pay an attorney to prepare the adoption paperwork, handle a variety of adoption-related legal issues, and appear in court for the actual adoption proceedings. Paying an attorney anywhere between $50 and $500 an hour will add to the cost of your adoption.

Waiting Period and Agency Adoptions

Some agencies require a waiting period before a child can be placed in the home of their new adoptive parents. This is meant to ensure that all the necessary consents have been given and signed, while many other processes within any adoption are also time-consuming. The child may be placed in foster care during this period, depending on state law, as well.

Many adoptive parents don't want their child to go into foster care and often opt for a "legal risk placement." This is where the child is placed in the new home despite not having all the necessary consents in place. This can be risky, however. Under such circumstances, for example, if a birth parent decides not to consent to the adoption, the child will be removed from the adoptive home.

Finding the Right Adoption Agency

There are thousands of adoption agencies to choose from across the United States, particularly in densely populated areas. A good place to start when searching for an agency is the Child Welfare Information Gateway. In addition, if you know anyone that adopted through an agency, it would be good to talk with them to discuss their experience.

If you've found an agency that you think might work for you, be sure to check their reputation and accreditation. Your state should have a licensing department for adoption agencies, which you can check to make sure the adoption agency's license is current and under no conditions.

International Adoptions

There are a number of U.S. adoption agencies specializing in international adoptions. Agencies that specialize in international adoptions will know the relevant immigration laws as well as the laws of the foreign nation where the child is located.

According to U.S. immigration law, any parents seeking to adopt from another nation must either be married or single and over the age of 25. Additionally, the parents seeking to adopt must file an Orphan Petition form with the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Service (USCIS) to show that the child's parents have died, disappeared, or abandoned the child, or that the one remaining parent can't care for the child and consents to the adoption.

In addition to the Orphan Petition, you'll need to submit a favorable home study report from the adoption agency. If the USCIS approves your petition (and there are no other factors), you can proceed to get the child an immigration visa. One of the advantages of international adoption is that much of the required paperwork can be completed even before you've been matched with a child.

Finally, some states have their own pre-adoption laws. For instance, some states require the written consent of the birth mother before the state will approve the entry of the child into the state. To this end, some adoption agencies recommend that parents who adopt from another nation also adopt under state laws when the child enters the state. By doing so, the child should also get a birth certificate that is in English.

Get Professional Legal Help With Your Agency Adoption

Using an adoption agency instead of going through the process on your own can ensure that all the correct paperwork, consents, and other legal and administrative requirements are met. But in most cases, particularly if you go through a public agency, it's very helpful to have an attorney on your side. Find an experienced adoption law attorney near you today.

Learn more about adoption law on our adoption attorney legal answers page.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified attorney specializing in adoptions.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options