Skip to main content

Are you a legal professional? Visit our professional site

Guided Legal Forms & Services: Sign In

Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Guardianship Laws FAQ: When Is Guardianship Necessary?

If you're caring for a child, you may not have considered establishing a legal guardianship, but it's an important step towards ensuring that the laws work for you in protecting the child's best interest. You may find yourself asking the question, "When is guardianship necessary?" These frequently asked questions cover issues related to when you do and do not need to establish a guardianship.

I have a child living with me currently, and I'm providing all of his care -- should I establish a guardianship?

It depends on how long you plan to care for the child. If the child is only going to live with you for a short time -- a few weeks or months -- then a guardianship is probably unnecessary. Any longer than that and you should probably consider a guardianship. With a guardianship in place, you will have a much easier time handling certain tasks on the child's behalf, such as enrolling him in school, obtaining medical care and registering for benefits.

Plus, without a guardianship, you will have no argument if his parent attempt to regain custody of him, even if you think that they are unfit parents. There's no guarantee that a guardianship will allow you to continue caring for the child if his parent want him back, but it definitely improves the odds.

I've heard that parents sometimes have to establish guardianships over their own children's property. Is that true?

Strangely enough, it is. When children come into large amounts of money or property, parents must sometimes establish what is known as a "guardianship of the estate". This is usually only necessary when children receive money or property in excess of around $5,000, but the amount varies depending on a state's laws.

What are the benefts of establishing a guardianhip of the estate?

A guardianship of the estate is important for two reasons:

  1. It frees people and institutions from liability if they turn the money or property over to the child's parents and the parents subsequently misuse it; and
  2. It subjects the parents' management of the property to a judge's scrutiny.

When a young child receives valuable property, though a will for example, they are often unprepared for the responsibility of managing the property. If a bank or the executor of the estate simply transfers the property to the child's parents instead of the child, the parents could misuse the property and the child could be left with nothing when they reach majority. This could expose the bank or executor to a lawsuit from the child or their guardian.

If the parents establish a guardianship of the estate, however, the guardianship laws remove liability from the bank or executor. The parents will also have to prove to a court that they have wisely managed the property, which offers the child additional protection.

Are there alternatives to a guardianship of the estate?

While establishing a guardianship of the estate can protect a minor child's assets, it can also be expensive and time-consuming to create. Most states have recognized this and enacted laws that make it easier for parent to manage gifts made to their children if they are under a certain amount. A gift-giver usually only has to name someone to manage the gift until the child comes of age. This process doesn't require the intervention of any courts. The maximum amount of the gift varies from state to state, so be sure to check the laws where you live.

Learn More About the Guardianship Laws in Your State From an Attorney

Guardianship is an important legal process that has lifelong implications for the parties involved; so it makes sense to do it properly. If you are in a guardianship situation, or simply want to know more about the guardianship laws in your state, the best way to do so is by speaking with a qualified family law attorney in your area.

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified family law attorney to make sure your rights are protected.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options