Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Alaska State Immigration Laws

Welcome to FindLaw's coverage of existing Alaska legislation and rules related to individuals' immigration status. Since immigration laws are written and enforced by the federal government under the authority of the Supremacy Clause, states may not pass laws that interfere with federal jurisdiction. However, states still may pass laws that are meant to discourage undocumented immigrants from remaining in the shadows of the law. For example, many states block their access to public services, while a handful of states have passed much stricter laws directing law enforcement to actively enforce federal immigration law (many of those provisions have been successfully challenged in court). In any event, this is a rapidly changing area of law.

Below you will find information on what, if any, rules Alaska has regarding immigration checks by law enforcement, educational institutions, and employers, as well as the existence of E-Verify requirements, restrictions on public benefits based on an individual's immigration status, and more. Make sure to do additional research to ensure that the law has not changed.

Law Enforcement and Immigration in Alaska

Under a federal program called "Secure Communities," all arrestees are fingerprinted and run through a federal database which checks their criminal record and immigration status. However, some states are considering and sometimes passing legislation permitting local governments to "opt out" of such programs.

Employment & Immigration

Refer to federal employment eligibility verification rules and the requirements for Form I-9.

Alaska E-Verify Requirements

No requirement to use E-Verify for checking employees' status.

Driver's License/ID Requirements

Must show proof of citizenship or legal residence, in addition to a valid Social Security card.

Public Benefits Restrictions

Under federal law, illegal immigrants are prohibited from receiving most public benefits. However, they are allowed to receive emergency services, health care and other programs that have been deemed "necessary to protect life and safety."

Education Checks


Voting ID Rules

Voters must present a non-photo ID at the polling place. Examples include signed voter ID card, driver's license or current utility bill (with name and current address). Voters without a valid ID may vote only if an election official present at the polling place personally knows the individual and can verify their identity.

Housing Ordinances and Immigration


Related Resources

  • Know Your Rights - Guide to protecting yourself and your family during immigration raids (PDF, CASA of Maryland and other organizations).
  • Immigration and Naturalization Operations in Alaska - Information about immigration enforcement in Alaska (University of Alaska Anchorage)
  • Alaska Law - FindLaw's extensive guide to the many laws and regulations enforced in Alaska, covering criminal law, family law, personal injury law, and more.

Learn About Your Rights as an Immigrant in Alaska: Contact a Lawyer

Whether in Juneau, Fairbanks, or anywhere else in between, if you have an immigration issue in Alaska you should be up-to-date on the laws and which ones apply to your situation. How can you best do this? By having a local immigration attorney on your side to help you understand the law and also represent you in legal proceedings. 

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified immigration attorney to help you get the best results possible.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select
Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options