Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select


Replevin is the common law cause of action for recovering personal property wrongfully withheld from its rightful owner. This is more commonly associated with personal chattels. Chattels are personal possessions.

It's important to understand the potential applications of replevin in a broad range of scenarios. These could include motor vehicle accidents and contract disputes.

Imagine you loan your motor vehicle to a friend. After a serious car accident, the insurer's preferred mechanic repairs the vehicle. But the car wasn't returned to you due to a dispute over payment with the insurance company. Or a situation where a creditor unjustly repossesses your vehicle due to a misunderstanding about your account. In such cases, you might turn to a replevin action to get your car back.

This article discusses how to start a replevin action. It also addresses how to amend your complaint if necessary and how to appeal. The article also discusses replevin actions as they relate to real property. Finally, the article addresses the limitations of replevin actions.

Starting a Replevin Action

The process of starting a replevin action usually begins with filing a complaint. It also requires filing an affidavit in the county or district court where the property is.

The affidavit:

  • States that the plaintiff claims rightful ownership or entitlement to possession of the property
  • States that the property was wrongfully detained
  • Identifies the opposing party in possession of the property

Typically, you must swear to your affidavit under oath before the clerk of court.

The court reviews the submitted documents once you file them and pay the docket fees. The court will issue a court order if the judge is satisfied. This order is a writ of replevin. The order directs the sheriff or another law enforcement officer to seize the property and return it to you, the plaintiff.

Suppose the court is unsatisfied with the complaint and affidavit you submit for the replevin action. In that case, the court may deny the issuance of the writ of replevin. This means you can't recover your property through the replevin process.

The court may find your submitted evidence isn't enough to prove a valid claim of ownership or right to possession of the property. Or the court may determine there isn't clear evidence that the defendant is wrongfully detaining the property.

When a court denies a writ of replevin, it typically gives reasons for the denial. These reasons can give you valuable information on what may be lacking in your case. After a denial, you have a few options.

Amend Your Complaint

The court may find your initial complaint or affidavit insufficient or lacking. In that case, you can amend your filing. Consult with an attorney to address the shortcomings pointed out by the court.

Alternative Legal Actions

Other legal remedies may be more appropriate than a replevin action, depending on why the court denied the replevin action.

These might include:

  • An action for monetary damages
  • A claim for trespass to chattels, based on substantial interference with the use of your personal property


Suppose you think the court made a legal error in denying a writ of replevin. In that case, you can consider appealing the court's decision. Appeals are complicated and will generally need the help of an attorney.

Seek legal advice to understand the potential risks and benefits associated with appeals.

Replevin and Real Property

In contrast to personal property like chattels and motor vehicles, replevin generally doesn't apply to real property like real estate or houses.

Real property, such as land, houses, or other types of real estate, is immovable. Disputes over real property usually involve issues such as:

  • Ownership rights
  • Boundaries
  • Use rights

So, the legal actions applicable to real property are typically different.

If someone occupies real property without the legal right, the court might order an ejectment action. The property owner could bring an ejectment action to remove the occupier and seek repossession and control of the property.

This action is about asserting property rights and removing people from real property. An ejectment action involves different legal principles and procedures than those applied in replevin actions for personal property.

Limitations and Considerations

Don't look at a replevin action as a self-help tool. Follow proper legal procedures to exercise your right to regain possession of your property. There are also time limits for bringing a replevin action. The exact limits will depend on your state laws.

Do You Need an Attorney?

Replevin can be a powerful legal remedy. But, the process can involve intricate procedural rules, requiring precise documentation and timing. Seek legal advice if you're considering a replevin action.

If you believe someone has unjustly deprived you of your personal property, consult an attorney to explore your options. Just like in personal injury, the law protects your rights and property. Don't hesitate to assert your rights and seek the return of your property through legal action.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:

Next Steps

Contact a qualified personal injury attorney to make sure your rights are protected.

Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Help Me Find a Do-It-Yourself Solution

Copied to clipboard

Find a Lawyer

More Options