Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Doctor Artificially Inseminated Patient With His Own Sperm, Lawsuit Says

By William Vogeler, Esq. | Last updated on

Thirty-two years ago, a woman says in a new lawsuit, a Sacramento doctor artificially inseminated her with his own sperm and without her knowledge.

In Grinnell v. Kaiser Foundation Hospitals, the woman says she didn't know it happened until last year. In the meantime, she says, the doctor had been performing gynecological exams on their child.

The complaint does not identify the doctor by name, but his identity is certain. The plaintiffs confirmed it by genetic testing.

Not Anonymous

Patricia Grinnell and her daughter Ashley Grinnell have sued the doctor and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals for battery, intentional misrepresentation, emotional distress, and other wrongs. The mother says "G.H." performed the artificial insemination procedure on her in 1987.

At the time, she claims, the doctor told her the sperm was from an anonymous donor. She found out later the donor was actually the doctor.

"Patrice was unaware, did not consent to, and would not have undergone the insemination procedure had she known or been informed that the sperm/semen of G.H. would be used," the lawsuit says.

G.H. was the primary physician for the mother and daughter until 2015. Among other services, he performed pelvic examinations on his own daughter.

"His Own Daughter"

In 2018, the Grinnells learned that G.H. was the biological father through a genetic test.

"[P]erforming pelvic exams on Ashley without telling her that he was her father was done wrongfully, intentionally, recklessly and with conscious disregard," the complaint says.

The plaintiffs seek compensatory and punitive damages.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard