Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

'Teen Mom' Amber Portwood's 5-Year Prison Term Reinstated

By Andrew Chow, Esq. on June 05, 2012 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

"Teen Mom" reality star Amber Portwood is heading to prison for up to five years, after giving up on a drug rehab program, gossip website TMZ reports.

Portwood, 22, was sentenced in February to three years in an Indiana prison for possessing prescription drugs without a prescription, and another two years for a probation violation. A plea deal allowed her to avoid prison and instead pursue treatment at a rehab facility.

But after three months in the rehab program, Portwood called it quits and decided to opt for prison, E! News reports.

Pursuant to "Teen Mom's" Amber Portwood's request, a judge reimposed her five-year prison sentence Tuesday, according to TMZ.

"The judge said he would refer Amber to the Indiana Department of Corrections therapeutic community program -- an incarceration-based treatment program," TMZ reports.

Prison-based drug treatment programs, which "focus on treating addiction as well as addressing criminal thinking," are available in at least four Indiana prisons. "Preparing offenders for successful and sober re-entry into the community is the primary goal," according to the Indiana Department of Corrections' website.

Though Portwood's sentence is five years, she could get credit for "good time" if she behaves behind bars, according to E! News. Indiana prison policy allows "good time" credits to reduce a prisoner's sentence by up to four years, or one-third of a prisoner's sentence, whichever is lesser.

"Teen Mom" Amber Portwood was in court Tuesday morning when a judge reimposed her five-year prison sentence. It's not clear when that sentence will begin.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard