Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

The Rock Sued: Teen Sues Ex-Wrestler Over Match Injury when 7

By Jason Beahm | Last updated on

Do You Smell What the Rock is Cooking?

It was a popular catch phrase used by "The Rock," former wrestler Dwayne Johnson. But at the moment, a lawsuit is being cooked by 18-year-old Ronald Basham III, of Clarksville, Indiana. He claims that when he was seven, he was injured when The Rock and "Triple H" (wrestler Paul Levesque) fought outside the ring and caused Basham injury.

During their match, the wrestlers fought in the audience and The Rock allegedly pushed a spectator, which caused a woman to fall on Basham's leg.

He is suing the Dwayne Johnson, Levesque and World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) for "reckless, willful and wanton conduct."

The alleged injured happened on May 21, 2000 at the Kentucky Fair and Exposition Center in Louisville, attorney Harris Berman told Reuters. According the lawsuit, the WWE failed to properly stage the match or provide adequate security. Berman says that the family has spent over $37,000 in medical bills due to the injury, including surgery for a dislocated patella that left the teenager with a permanent partial disability.

The suit alleges WWE didn't stage the match properly or provide proper security. It definitely seems strange to file a suit so long after the incident. However, according to Berman, the due to the boy's age at the time of injury, the statute of limitations does not apply. Berman says that they waited to file the lawsuit because they believed that Basham would grow out of his injuries. In addition, Basham was too young to sue for himself at the time of the alleged injury.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard