Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

'Two and a Half Men's' Jon Cryer Fights Child Support Modification

By Jenny Tsay, Esq. | Last updated on

"Two and a Half Men's" Jon Cryer was victorious in opposing his ex-wife's petition to modify his child support payments from $8,000 to $88,000 a month.

Just like his character on the TV show, Cryer is divorced and paying child support. However, his ex apparently wasn't satisfied with the $8,000 monthly payment. Sarah Trigger argued that Cryer made $2 million a month, so he should up the ante on his payments, TMZ reports.

A California judge this week threw out Trigger's request, based on proof of Cryer's income and monthly expenses.

When Can You Modify Child Support?

When a court issues a monthly child support payment amount, it doesn't mean that the amount is set in stone until your child turns 18. In fact, parents in California can request a modification in child support when there are "changed circumstances."

Changed circumstances can include:

  • Changes to one or both parents' incomes,
  • A parent getting laid off or fired,
  • One parent having other children from other relationships, or
  • Changes in the needs of the child.

A court decides whether these circumstances warrant a modification in child support payments.

For Cryer, his ex-wife argued that their teenage son was experiencing two separate lifestyles: she's an out-of-work actress while his dad is a TV star, so he could afford to provide a more lavish lifestyle, according to ABC News.

Increasing child support could help the child "maintain continuity of lifestyle," but even if the modification request is based on the child's needs, the court needs evidence that the other parent has the moolah.

Financial Proof

During the modification process, the parents must provide financial documents, such as income and expenses, child care expenses, and unemployment benefits. This will help the judge assess each parent's financial situation to determine whether a modification is warranted.

In Jon Cryer's case, he submitted an income declaration showing that he earns about $700,000 a month -- not the $2 million his wife claimed. Plus, his monthly expenses came out to be about $19,000, according to TMZ.

Based on Cryer's income declaration, the judge denied his ex's modification request.

Follow FindLaw for Consumers on Facebook and Twitter (@FindLawConsumer).

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard