Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Texas Cash Bail System Ruled Unconstitutional

By Jeffrey Yano, Esq. | Last updated on

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has concluded that Houston's bail system is unconstitutional. The decision affirms a district court's findings in a class action lawsuit alleging that Harris County's bail bond practices violated the Due Process and Equal Protection rights of indigent defendants

Houston's Problematic Bail Process

The court's opinion paints a detailed picture of Harris County's bail practices. The county's court system routinely set secured bail amounts according a schedule with minimal regard for a defendant's ability to pay.

The results, as found by the district court that issued the preliminary injunction, were stark. Hearings where bail was set and later revised were often delayed or pro forma. Indigent arrestees unable to post bail were effectively detained pretrial with little practical recourse, making them more likely to plead guilty and receive longer sentences. In short, it was a mess.

District Court Enjoined, Fifth Circuit (Mostly) Affirms

The District Court found the county's practices violated the Fourteenth Amendment, specifically depriving indigent defendants of due process, and issued a preliminary injunction requiring the county to modify its bail practices.

That was good, but in the Fifth Circuit's opinion not good enough. In a typical appellate move, court agreed with the district court's factual findings, tweaked its legal reasoning as to constitutional violation, and sent the case back down for the district court to come up with a revised injunction.

Related Resources

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard