Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

GPS Windshield Mounts Legal in Your State?

By Stephanie Rabiner, Esq. | Last updated on

Is it legal to use GPS windshield mounts?

This is a common question for those who wish to affix the directional devices to their vehicles. After all, suction cups are often the cheapest option, and tend to be a free part of the GPS package.

Luckily, the answer is yes, you can mount a GPS to your windshield.

But, as usual, this response comes with a few caveats. Especially for those of you who live in California or Minnesota.

Residents of California and Minnesota used to be subject to a GPS windshield ban. More recently, these states have upgraded their statutes to allow windshield mounting when placed in specific locations.

California residents can use a GPS windshield mount if it is located within the lower corners of the windshield. Passenger-side mounts can occupy a 7-inch corner square, while driver-side mounts can only occupy a 5-inch corner square.

Minnesota has a similar requirement. Drivers can mount a GPS device on the "bottommost portion of the windshield." Some have interpreted this to mean the bottommost corners of the windshield.

Even if not subject to these laws, they might offer you some guidance.

GPS devices, like cell phones, can be huge distractions. When you're not inputting information, you're looking at the screen. That screen may also block the middle of your windshield.

Think about testing a dash or visor mount, or even a bean bag. They may be safer options. If not, keep moving your GPS windshield mount until you find the safest and most comfortable location.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard