Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

I Got Bad Advice From My Criminal Lawyer. What Can I Do?

By Christopher Coble, Esq. | Last updated on

Criminal defendants have a constitutional right to an attorney, but does the Constitution mandate that the attorney be good? What if your attorney doesn't give you enough information, or gives you incorrect information? Or what if he or she is really bad at trial work?

Not every guilty verdict means the criminal defense attorney screwed up, but there are some cases where a lawyer's contribution to the defense (or lack thereof) is inadequate under the law. Here's what you can do about it:


Not only do you have a right to counsel, you have a right to "adequate representation." Inadequate representation is also referred to as ineffective assistance of counsel, and, in extreme cases, it can be grounds to appeal a criminal conviction or have a conviction vacated.

When courts assess whether you've received adequate representation, you will have to prove two things:

  1. That your lawyer's job performance was deficient -- You must show that your lawyer made errors so serious that he or she essentially did not function as counsel guaranteed by the Sixth Amendment; and
  2. That the deficient performance unfairly prejudiced your defense -- You must show that your lawyer's errors were so serious as to wholly deprive you of a fair trial.

Get a New Attorney

Of course, an appeal can only occur after you've been convicted, and hopefully it won't have to come to that. There are signs you are receiving ineffective counsel, and you may be able to change attorneys before the damage is done.

You may be receiving inadequate representation if your lawyer fails to:

  • Consult with you before making decisions
  • File notices or other paperwork on time
  • Behave professionally
  • Respond to your requests for information or communication
  • Use legal terminology or procedure correctly

In which case you may want to alert the court that you feel you are receiving ineffective assistance of counsel. If you think you've received bad advice from your lawyer, it may be time to consult with another criminal defense attorney about your case.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard