Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

When to Ask a Judge to Let You Out of Jail Early

By Andrew Lu | Last updated on

Floyd Mayweather received a 90-day prison term for beating his ex-girlfriend.

But only a few days into his sentence, the 35-year-old boxer says that prison has not been too kind to him and sought to modify his prison term with an early release from jail.

So just when can you ask a judge for an early release from jail?

Probably the most common reason to seek an early release from jail or modification of prison term is to cite health reasons.

In Floyd Mayweather's case, the boxer said that was wasting away in jail on the 800 calorie per day diet and lack of exercise. His lawyer says that Mayweather looked dehydrated and weak in jail, reports the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

But to get a reduced sentence or modification to house arrest, the prisoner usually has to demonstrate a somewhat serious health effect. Prison is not meant to be a country club, and a little discomfort is expected.

Another common reason that prisoners may seek to modify their prison terms is to argue that their ability to support their families suffer. In Mayweather's case, if he is no longer in tip-top shape, his boxing career obviously suffers. But individuals should think about the consequences of their actions before committing the crime. Family members will suffer when a wage earner is in jail, but the suffering probably has to be extreme before a judge will even consider an early release.

Finally, prisoners often seek an early from jail for good behavior. If you're a model citizen, a judge may look kindly upon this and let you out early. However, this reason is usually used in cases where a prisoner faces years in prison and has been a model citizen for a significant time, and not cases where someone is in jail for only 90 days.

You can always ask a judge to give you an early release from jail. But only in limited situations will a judge grant a modification of prison term.

Related Resources:

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard