Skip to main content
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

What to Do When Your Ex Is Stalking You

By Christopher Coble, Esq. on April 09, 2018 | Last updated on March 21, 2019

We've said it before and we'll say it again: "Everything ends badly, otherwise it wouldn't end." And while there are exceptions to that rule, when it comes to breakups, the exceptions prove the rule.

Jilted exes can take the end of a relationship hard. And although not all exes turn into stalkers after a breakup, it's far too common for a better half to feel threatened by their former partners. And if your exes unhappiness with the split turns in to stalking, you do have legal options to keep you safe. Here are three things you can do if your ex is stalking you.

1. How to Get a Restraining Order

The most common response to a stalker is a restraining order or order of protection. These can order a person to stay a certain distance away from you and prohibit other contact via phone or internet. And while a restraining order itself might not stop stalking, it provides police with a remedy (fines, arrests, and possible jail time) if a person disobeys the order. Many temporary restraining orders are automatic following a domestic incident, and some temporary restraining orders can be obtained the same day as filing.

2. How to Stop Domestic Violence

Stalking in and of itself can be a crime. And it can lead to more serious and violent actions. There's no one way to end stalking or domestic violence completely, but several strategies can prevent it or create consequences for an abuser.

3. Filing a Domestic Violence Lawsuit

Beyond the criminal remedies for stalking, there are ways of dealing with a stalking ex in civil court as well. Tort law provides civil legal remedies for people who are injured in by another's actions. And victims of stalking and domestic violence can file domestic violence lawsuits in civil court. Suing a stalker for invasion of privacy, infliction of emotional distress, and even assault are all possible civil legal remedies.

If you feel that you are in immediate danger, call 911 or contact local police. And there are domestic violence organizations that can provide support services for stalking victims. Finally, for help with a restraining order or other domestic violence issues, contact a local attorney.

Related Resources:

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard