Skip to main content
Find a Lawyer
Please enter a legal issue and/or a location
Begin typing to search, use arrow keys to navigate, use enter to select

Find a Lawyer

More Options

Parents Sue Man for Gross Negligence during 'Ding Dong Ditch' Game

By Kamika Dunlap | Last updated on

A "Ding Dong Ditch" prank by a few teenagers has resulted in a serious lawsuit.

The parents of a boy who was shot in the leg during a game of Ding Dong Ditch have filed a $2.5 million gross negligence lawsuit, the Tennessean reports.

Jeff and Sherri Robinson have filed a gross negligence lawsuit against a man who thought his home was being broken into and opened fire, shooting their 17-year-old son Joseph in the leg.

The parents are accusing the man of acting in a reckless and grossly negligent manner. The lawsuit asks for punitive damages and the cost of civil action, for a total of no less than $2.5 million.

Officials confirmed the teenager was shot and that the injury was non life-threatening.

In general, gross negligence is an indifference to, and a blatant violation of, a legal duty with respect to the rights of others.

But typically, gross negligence is a conscious and voluntary disregard of the need to use reasonable care, which is likely to cause foreseeable grave injury or harm to persons, property, or both. It is conduct that is extreme when compared with ordinary negligence, which is a mere failure to exercise reasonable care.

The complaint alleges that Edmonds was not in danger and that their son and his friend were playing a childish prank and were not armed.

The Robinsons' claim also states the use of a gun was excessive and not a legal use of a weapon.

Authorities are still investigating and no criminal charges have been filed.

Clarksville Police spokesman Officer Jim Knoll said it is not unusual for a case to go to the District Attorney's Office before an arrest is made.

Was this helpful?

You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help

Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.

Or contact an attorney near you:
Copied to clipboard